Assistance with registration for the Cancer Biology Annual Retreat and required travel
Applications Due By Wednesday 9/15 at 6pm EDT
This award is designed to help increase minority scientists-in-training’s exposure to opportunities and introduce them to various career paths in the field of cancer research.
This award provides complimentary meeting registration for the Shared-Room Trainee Package* and reimbursement of related travel expenses to eligible scientists at the trainee level. The amount and number of awards granted will be determined by the funds available.
To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following:
- Is affiliated with a cancer training program at an institution that is a current (2021) CABTRAC member.
- Is a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, MD/PhD trainee or other qualified trainee.
- Can demonstrate need for assistance including, but not limited to, lack of travel funds available through the affiliate institution.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- The name and contact information of one mentor in a faculty capacity at the affiliated institution who can verify the submitted application information upon request;
- Curriculum vitae, including publications;
- A cover letter including the following information:
Title and affiliation
A brief statement of applicant’s research goals
A brief statement describing the applicant’s interest in attending the retreat.
An advisory committee consisting of CABTRAC board members will carefully review applications. The committee will consider the following factors: Financial need for registration and travel funds, the affiliated institution’s minority serving institution (MSI) status, and the applicant’s under-represented minority status (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and U.S. Pacific Islander, or other.)
Awardees attending in person must attend all events organized for trainees.
All awardees must participate in the post-Retreat survey.
The travel award may be subject to federal income tax; it is up to the awardee and their tax professional to determine. CABTRAC will not be providing IRS 1099-MISCs for reimbursement amounts under $600.
Please submit your request by 6pm EDT on Wednesday, September 15. Award status announcements will be sent via email by noon EDT on Friday, September 17. Acceptance of award or arrangement of other payment source must be made by 6pm EDT on Wednesday, September 22.
*Shared-Room Trainee Package disclosure: Trainees will be assigned shared hotel guestrooms, containing two separate beds, with other same-gender trainees. Due to COVID-19, all in-person attendees are required to be fully vaccinated or produce a negative test at meeting check-in on Sunday, October 24. If you are not comfortable sharing due to COVID, you may purchase an upgrade for $265. The travel award will not cover this extra expense.